Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Altered Frame

I came up with the February Altered Challenge at ScrapCity. This is my project!


I pick up inexpensive and sometimes ugly frames at garage sales. I would think that you could find a frame at the dollar store too. This one I just so happened to get from my mom. This is just an ugly fake wood grain photo frame. I really hope she didn't pay $2.50 for it!!

Remove the glass and set it aside.


I'm going to paint it, so I sand it a little. The fake wood grain stuff is gross, and sanding it makes a mess!

I wiped it off with a baby wipe, and I get my painting stuff ready.

Painting is fun!


It really doesn't matter if you do a good job or not, because you're going to cover it with paper. I just paint because I hate the fake wood grain, and I don't want it to show through.


While the frame dries, pick out what papers, etc. you want to use. I was in a Love, Elsie Roxie mood.

I measured the sides, and I measured how much I would need to "wrap". The sides were 7 3/4" x 5 3/4", and I would need 1 3/4" to wrap around each side. I cut four sheets of paper.

This is the only tricky part, and let me assure you, I had no idea what I was doing. I needed to cut the paper so that it would wrap properly, and here is my attempt at doing just that.

Just so you know, my attempt to cut the correct size was awful, as you can see here!

I'm not kidding! Really awful! Doesn't matter, you'll be covering that up!!


Get out the embellishments!! BAM! Ugly corners? Where? I don't know what you're talking about!! Ha ha!!

This is a 5x7 frame, but I'm putting in a 4x6 photo. No problem, just keep some coordinating decorative paper behind your photo! Pretty cool, HUH? I love it! So, alter a frame! It's fun and very easy!

It's raining and will be raining all day long. The temperatures will be falling all day long too! I have a great time getting together with my girlfriend yesterday for breakfast. It's always wonderful to catch up and chat with a great friend, don't you think? I hope you all have a wonderful day, and thanks for stopping by!!

10 comments :

Scrapronicity said...

This is SO CUTE!! I always have trouble with corners. I guess that's the beauty of being a scrapper, we can cover things up with embellishments. Love it! :)

Jodi

Chris said...

this is great!! what a cool thing to do with those cheap frames...i have several in my stash...TFS!!

DeeDee said...

So stinkin' CUTE Carole!!! You just totally ROCK!!! HUGS!

Latisha said...

so cool!
I hate the cheap fake wood too.
trash to treasure, I love it!

Sharon Caudle said...

Fabulous tutorial Carol!!! I love it and you made it all sound so easy! Now I do believe I will have a go at some of the ugly frames I've accumulated over the years! thanks for this!!!!

Cathrine StClair said...

THis is very cute - love the colors in the papers. Great job on those corners :)

Maria said...

I love altered projects. . .especially altering old used stuff! I love your photo frame covered the the paper. The colors are pretty and I love the embellishments that you added. Thank you for the tutorial! You did a fabulous job!!

maria

Lesli said...

Love the frame! Great tutorial!

wendy said...

Great idea and very good tutorial :)

Risa said...

What a great idea and I love the finished results Carol!
hugs
Risa:)