Friday, March 7, 2008

Daddy's Garage Buddy

First off, I want to mention that two very good blogging friends awarded me with the "you make my day" awards, and I want to thank them! Thank you Becky and Sharon! You are both so talented, and you both make my day too! I'm honored that you awarded these to me!

Next, here's a scrapbook page. This is another page that I did for a challenge during the virtual crop at ScrapCity over the weekend. This one was called "think outside the box", and we were challenged to use some cardboard from an actual box on our page.


I came across this picture of my youngest, Jessica. Once in a while, we all find ourselves hanging out in Daddy's garage! Why wouldn't we? There's a big T.V., it's heated, there's a dart board, a refrigerator, etc. It's a FUN place to hang out! I snapped this photo of Jessica one evening back in 2005 when she was just hanging out with her Dad! She is just too cute! Since the photo was taken in the garage, I thought the cardboard frame I constructed worked really well with it! If you look closely at the four large brads at the corners of the frame, you'll see that they look like Phillip's screw heads. Very cool! I actually broke out a set of my Stampin' Up alphabets! I forget how much I love my alphabet stamps! I need to use them more often! Jessica actually chose the letters for me, and she mixed up the upper and lower case . . . a very cool look! Of course, I had to add some Primas to the layout! As you might notice, I was still digging the blank space challenge, and this one also leaves a lot of blank space. I'm loving that look right now! I'm very pleased with this page.

Here's what else is going on with me. The children's librarian at our community library knows me really well. We've been going to the kid library programs the entire time we've lived in this town (7 years now). She knows I scrapbook a lot. In fact, I've actually done scrapping classes for the kids over the summertime (and gotten paid for it! What fun!)

ANYWAY, she hired me to make a scrapbook for her nephew. He's getting married in June, and she wants to give him a scrapbook for their wedding shower. I met with her a couple of times, I sent her to buy some stuff (so she could get an album she likes, etc.), and she gave me photos and all the stuff yesterday. I told her to get 8x8 (easier to work with). She gave me A TON of photos. I'm going to get started today. I'm kinda nervous! I've done a ton of mini albums (mother's day albums, a book for my father in law, birthday books, a book for my husband, a book for one of my best girlfriends for her 40th, etc.), but this one will be hard, because I don't know him!

The other thing is that I don't know what to charge her for the completed album. I have no idea how many pages it's going to be. I don't know if I should charge by the page or by the hour. Hhhmmmm . . . should be interesting! I'm sure once I get started, it will all flow . . . at least I hope so! Wish me luck!! I need to have it done by April 6th! I need to get MOVING!!

Have a WONDERFUL weekend everyone! Thanks for stopping by!

17 comments :

Carole Beath said...

Darling layout. In finer circles, they are called LO's.
I love it. PS....don't be nervous.

Lauren said...

This is a great layout. I love the crazy lettering. You'll do great on the other scrapbook too.

Andrea, said...

Fab layout and good luck with your commission, I'm sure you'll make a fabulous job of it, don't worry

L.A. said...

I really like the page...it is definitely out of the box! Your daughter is really a cutie! Good luck with the album, it sounds like a challenge you are up to!

Have a great weekend!

Lori

Alex said...

Great page Carol - I really like those letters and those brads are perfect for this!! Hah! Your garage sounds a whole lot like our garage - LOL! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

kathleenh said...

I LOVE your scrapbook page. Great details! Your dh has the kind of garage mine is working on. I think he wants a space he can call his own like I have my craft room.

Carole Beath said...

Carol, I left you an Award as well. Please visit my blog. I always enjoy your visits.

scrappermimi said...

Great page! Love those screw heads, they are the perfect addition to the cardboard!

Good luck and congrats on your scrappy job, that is awesome!

My Paper World said...

Wow! Carol, your frame looks great! LOVE the brads!
and I know that you will do a fantastic job on the album!
Nicola xx

Catherine said...

love the LO and cute pic =)

Latisha said...

Very cute lo with your daughter, I really like the cardboard frame. I'm not sure how fast you scrap, how many pages could you finish in an hour? I charge what I use for supplies and depending on the person either $10 a page or $15-$25 an hour for my time. It just depends on how fast you think you can get it done and what you think your time is worth. I don't like to do "paid" projects like a scrapbook for people I really know, because I always seem to sell myself short. Good luck with it!

Lesli said...

Just too fun - I love it :)

michelle sturgeon said...

Really cool layout!
Have a great weekend yourself!
(we are currently getting MORE snow!)

Crissy said...

Great layout! I love the cardboard frame, so original! Good luck on the scrapbook, I'm sure you'll do a fabulous job!!

Dawn said...

how cute is that cardboard layout - pretty nifty! And those "screw heads" what a great idea!

You will do a fantastic job on the scrapbook. I hope that you are able to post pics when you are done.

Cathrine StClair said...

I really like this layout! Its perfect with the picture and I like the open space.

Good luck with the album - it will be great!

Michelle Pearson said...

fun way to use cardboard! That turned out so cute!

Good luck with your album...what a fun *job* you're taking on!!! ;)